At our annual general meeting (AGM) on the 20 November, we shared our DRAFT position statement, which outlines how we aim to support better public involvement for Lambeth Together moving forward.
Over the last few months we’ve come up with eight key ideas on participation which we’d like to get feedback on from people in Lambeth.
You can read in detail about the why and what of the new position statement, how the AGM launch went, and the feedback we gathered there, here.
Our eight key ideas on participation
You can access the document here.
Our eight key ideas are:
- People have the right to be involved in shaping and improving services.
- Public participation is a spectrum (or ladder) that provides a range of opportunities for people to be involved.
- Each aspect of the spectrum offers benefits and none of the approaches is better than others.
- The best place on the spectrum for an engagement activity will depend on the decision or question that needs answering. A project may visit different places on the spectrum as it progresses. This may or may not include co-production (sharing power between services and people).
- We must be honest from the start about who has the decision making power in each project and what is on and off the table
- We must be clear and transparent about which members of the public are or should be involved in particular projects. For example, this might include service users, people who need a service but don’t currently use it, previous users, carers and families, and the wider community.
- Participation projects need to be designed with the principles of equality, diversity and accessibility at their heart.
- Good information provision for everyone involved is essential to every stage of a participation project, including giving people feedback on the outcome.
We want to hear from you!
This position statement is a draft.
With public participation at the core of everything we do, we want to ensure that the views of Lambeth people are reflected in our work.
We invite people to join us for a coffee morning on the 12 December to give feedback on our 8 Principles.
This is for both people who didn’t make it to our AGM, or people who want to come back and share their views further. We want to hear from local residents, patients, community representatives and groups, people who work in health and social care, and people in the voluntary sector.
Thursday 12 December
11:00 – 12:20
At We Are 336, 336 Brixton Road, SW9 7AA
Please regsiter by calling 02072748522 or emailing email@example.com
You can also email your comments or phone in to share your comments.
We will then come up with the final version by January 2020.
We look forward to hearing from you!