About the project
Due to coronavirus, some parts of this programme are being adapted:
- our new one-to-one support service is available by telephone only
- awareness raising activities are being adapted to suit social distancing and self-isolation requirements
- training will be delivered online.
Further details are provided below.
The project supports groups who face a range of health inequalities, to help ensure their needs and preferences are better met. In particular we are working with:
- Lambeth’s sizeable Portuguese-speaking community
- people with learning disabilities
- people with long-term conditions
- people with dementia.
The project is delivered by organisations already working with these groups as well as those with specialist advance care planning expertise.This project is led by Compassion in Dying and Healthwatch Lambeth. It’s funded by the National Lottery Community Fund through its partnership programme.
The other delivery partners are:
Project partners run a range of outreach activities across Lambeth to explain what advance care planning is, the value of recording your future wishes and how to go about it. Our activities include:
• The ‘Before I Die’ tent at the annual Lambeth Country Show, where people are invited to consider what is important to them by sharing their life hopes and considering their future care wishes
• Information stalls and sessions at other local events
• Tailored workshops with our target audiences – for example, themed sessions at the Learning Disability Forum and carer support group meetings
• A local events programme for Dying Matters Week in May which also supports broader discussions around death and dying.
Due to coronavirus, our awareness raising activities have been adapted to allow for social distancing and self-isolation, for example through online platforms and teleconferencing.
Book a stall or activity with us
If you are running an event in Lambeth and would like to include an advance care planning stall or activity, please contact us (see the details at the bottom of this page).
Become an advance care planning champion
Volunteer with us to help run virtual and face-to-face stalls and workshops in Lambeth to raise awareness about how to plan ahead and record your future treatment and care wishes. You’ll receive training and support every step of the way. We’re currently trying new ways to carry out activities during the Covid-19 pandemic and we’d welcome your ideas. Please take a look at the role description.
You may also be interested in our supporter role (see below).
The one-to-one service
Our new, free service offers one-to-one support to help people:
• consider what matters to them in relation to their quality of life, medical treatment and priorities for their health and care
• make an advance care plan.
Depending on what’s right for each person, the service can support people to complete an advance statement, advance decision and/or lasting power of attorney for health and welfare.
The service is available through Age UK Lambeth’s MYCommunity Lambeth referral service (previously called the Safe and Independent Living service, or SAIL). People can be referred or self-refer by ticking the ‘Advance Care Planning Conversations’ box in the ‘Support’ section at the bottom of the referral form.
The service is for Lambeth residents who need this level of one-to-one support. People who are able to create their plan independently will be signposted to Compassion in Dying.
The service is delivered by trained staff and volunteers from consortium partners. The training is delivered in partnership by Compassion in Dying and St Christopher’s Hospice. After completing their training, our team of ‘supporters’ receive ongoing support and development from Compassion in Dying.
The training will also be adapted for people with learning disabilities who will provide peer support to other members of the community with learning disabilities, using easy read materials developed through the project. This strand of the project will be facilitated by a support worker from the Lambeth Learning Disability Assembly.
To get in touch with us, please see the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Order some service leaflets
Request an interactive briefing on the service for your team
We can deliver free information sessions about this new service for frontline staff or volunteer teams supporting local people. Briefings will provide:
an introduction to advance care planning
an overview of the service
an opportunity to try out some conversation starters on advance care planning to enable your team to introduce the topic to clients and signpost them to the support service with confidence
Become an advance care planning supporter
If you are interested in becoming one of our volunteer supporters or you are from an organisation working with Lambeth residents and might like to offer advance care planning support to your clients as part of this project, take a look at the role description below.
Embedding advance care planning locally
Our project aims to develop a sustainable advance care planning support offer to Lambeth residents. To achieve this we will:
• develop a train the trainer course for the champions network
• map existing advance care planning initiatives such as Coordinate My Care and support from end of life care providers, to ensure our new service complements them
• explore and develop a range of referral access points for the service such as GP patient registration forms, care coordination processes and community link workers/social prescribers.
Work with SE London Clinical Commissioning Group (a key member of the Lambeth advance care planning consortium) to run complementary training for statutory health and care professionals to help build:
• understanding of advance care planning
• confidence to have an initial conversation
• knowledge of how to refer into our new service
• confidence to implement advance care plans.
About the Lambeth Advance Care Planning Consortium
This consortium brings together a range of local organisations that are working to promote advance care planning across Lambeth.
The consortium is an open network of organisations and the current members include:
Action on Elder Abuse, Age UK Lambeth, Ask Erwin, Alzheimer’s Society, Compassion in Dying, Healthwatch Lambeth, Carers Hub Lambeth, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust, Lambeth Council Safeguarding Adults Team, Lambeth Learning Disability Assembly, Lambeth Links, Neighbourhood and Wellbeing Alliance (part of Lambeth Together), NHS South-East London CCG, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, St Christopher’s, and Stockwell Partnership.
Find out more
To refer somebody to the project for support with advance care planning:
Call the MyCommunity Lambeth team on: 0333 360 3700
Or fill out a referral form here: SAIL (ageuk.org.uk) (tick the 'Advance Care Planning Conversations' box in the support section
To find out more about the project, please contact Sara Lyon at Healthwatch Lambeth
07943 986 256